Sunday 18 August 2013

Cloth & Memory 2

I was lucky enough to be invited to the opening of Cloth & Memory 2 an exhibition of international textile artists at Salts Mill yesterday. The artists were invited to respond to the rich history of the mill and in particular the spinning room at the top of the mill, a space not normally open to the public. The exhibition is shown in the same space; 168 metres long the room was described as the largest in the world in 1853.

Walking in I wasn't sure whether to look at the room or the artworks; both were fascinating, revealing more the longer I looked. I found myself drawn to details and surfaces, sensory tactile elements in the building and in the works. Intimate responses to time and place.



Yoriko Yoneyama
Hannah Leighton-Boyce
Katsura Takasuka
Caroline Bartlett
Diana Harrison

The exhibition deserves time to view and I feel as though I want to look quietly when there is no one there. I will return when it is quiet to take my time.

18th August - 3rd November 2013
at Salts Mill, Saltaire, West Yorkshire

There are also many special events to coincide with the exhibition.

1 comment:

  1. The exhibits and the venue itself look very interesting. 168 metres still sounds like a huge space to me. I love Caroline Bartlett's work.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...